Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Falling off the wagon... and jumping right back on again

How was your New Year's Eve?  Ours was great.  We went to this fabulous Indian restaurant here in Boise called Taj Mahal.  It may have been the best Indian food I've ever had... and I love me some good Indian Food!  The only thing is, I fell of the wagon.  The SCD wagon that is.

I did so well over Thanksgiving and Christmas (especially with all the helpful and delicious SCD foods my mother-in-law made for me), I thought I was in the clear.  But alas, its amazing what fresh spicy shrimp coconut curry served with freshly made naan bread and rice will do to a person.  We savored every last bite.  It was heaven!  And combined with the interesting conversation we struck up with the father and son (both named Richard) and the next table and the conversation we had with the owner of the restaurant, Sohail, we had the most delightful night we could have imagined.

I've been paying the price for my bad eating habits ever since, however.  Although I'm not back in a serious UC flare, I have been a bit more uncomfortable (bloated and gurgly), and I've been getting up again in the night.  And I am having to start over with my perfect eating record from scratch.

It was surprisingly easy to jump back into my Specific Carbohydrate Diet rhythm immediately the next day, and I've been good ever since.  Man, even though I knowingly ate the "illegal" foods, I'm pretty bummed that my food cravings overcame my willpower.  I thought I was stronger than that.  I was getting really down on myself about it yesterday.

My nutritionist told me to look at it as a growing pain or a bump in the road, and not to get too worked up about it, it happens to the best of us... so that's what I've decided to do.  I can certainly say, no one is perfect, especially me.

Have you had times in your life where temptation got the best of you?  How did you handle it?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment