Saturday, January 14, 2012

Anglophiles

David and I are officially Anglophiles.  We can't stop watching British television... on Netflix and Hulu and PBS.  It's completely addictive.  Our favorites recently have been Downton Abbey, the new version of Sherlock Holmes set in modern day, The I.T. CrowdPoirot, and our recent favorite, Kingdom.  Have you seen any of these?  Do you have any other recommendations for us?
The British have the very best sense of humor.  It's dry, witty, and intelligent.  And their sense of drama is understated and elegant.  We are utterly enchanted!
It's actually making me yearn to live in another country for a while.  Wouldn't it be grand to be a British aristocrat for a day?!  ;)  I'm not sure I could handle it for more than a day... having to be so proper all the time would drive me nuts.  Clearly, David and I aren't the only ones in love with British Tele though... check out this recent article in the New York Times.
It's amazing to me how many of our American television shows were created in the UK first.  The best example of this being Ricky Gervais' The Office, but I can think of about 4 or 5 others as well.  I was told by a work colleague that they were attempting to make an American version of The I.T. Crowd, but not sure it actually went anywhere... I'm kind of glad it didn't, because I'm a purist.  I'm furious that they re-made the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  What do you think of re-makes?    

No comments:

Post a Comment