Friday, September 16, 2011

World Religions and the Story of the Old Turtle

Have you ever read the book Old Turtle?  It's one of my most favorite children's books... and quite frankly, the message is as much for adults as it is for children.  The moral of the story is about understanding (rather than arguing) other peoples beliefs in God because when it gets down to it, we're not all that different.
Being that I have always prided myself on being open-minded and loving of all of my friends of all different races, religions, and backgrounds, I got to thinking as I was talking to a friend of mine the other day.  Although I pride myself on being understanding of my friends' choices in religious belief, I didn't necessarily understand their individual religions or why they make the choice to believe in them.

As the thought grew in my head, I decided I would take the advice of the Old Turtle, and I would set out on a little mission of listening, and (more importantly) learning about others beliefs.  Over the course of the next few weeks I am introducing a new feature to my blog called "Why I Believe"  I will be asking friends and colleagues- from all different religious backgrounds to answer a few questions and discuss what their religion means to them.  I post them as their answers come in.

I hope you enjoy their answers and much as I know I'm going to!  Also be sure to check out a copy of the Old Turtle when you get the chance.  It's quite an inspiring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment