Monday, September 26, 2011

Suffering in Silence



Last night after reading the article below (which really spoke to me), I found out that the local chapter of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America is putting on a fundraising walk here in Boise to raise money for Crohn's and Colitis research.  Of course, I immediately signed up and I am encouraging my local Boise friends to do the same.

To get involved in your area, check out the Walk website: http://online.ccfa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TS_homepage and register a team of your own.  We are so close to a cure, and every little bit helps.  I was "lucky" enough to not show signs of the disease until I was in my mid-twenties, but more and more often children as young as one month old are being diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD), and I can only imagine what they must go through.  Childhood would be a very lonely road.

If you can get involved, do.  If you can't get involved, donate. 1 in every 200 people suffers with IBD and that number is growing.  And haven't you noticed, there's never a bathrooms when you need one?!

Today I am starting a new drug called Imuran.  It's very powerful and frankly, I'm a little bit scared of it, but its not Prednisone, which scares me even more.  Wish me luck! 


People with Crohn's, UC often suffer in silence
Midland Reporter-Telegram |  Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:45 am

Robin Kingham is real estate account executive for the
Reporter-Telegram and an ulcerative colitis survivor. She has
signed up for her second half-marathon with Crohn's and Colitis
Foundation of America's Team Challenge in Las Vegas on Dec. 4. She
has committed to raise $3,700; but her personal goal is $4,000 to
benefit the foundation. She is documenting her progress through a
column and a blog. To donate online, visit
http://www.active.com/donate/vegas11national/VegasRKingha.
Donations also may be mailed to Robin's attention at the MRT, 201
E. Illinois Ave. Make checks payable to CCFA.
Since becoming affiliated with the CCFA, I have met so many
people affected by Crohn's or colitis. I'm not just talking about
the people I've met through Team Challenge, I'm talking about
people right here in the Permian Basin. My co-workers, my husband's
co-workers, clients or their family members have come forward.
I bet you know someone who is affected by these diseases and you
are completely unaware. Those affected by irritable bowel disease
(IBD) don't necessarily look sick and most patients suffer in
silence. I went six weeks before seeking medical care.
Rachel Meyer, my Team Challenge teammate, looks healthy. She is
young and thin with beautiful skin; nothing on the exterior
indicates all of the turmoil in her digestive system. Her family
can tell, but someone on the outside wouldn't know.
And honestly, what 20 year old wants to have to explain
something like colitis? People have asked me how I am able to be so
candid, how I'm able to "put it all out there." My question in
reply is: How can I not? How can I not do something?
There is no cure, yet. The only way to find a cure is through
research. The way to fund research is through grants, donations,
fundraising and raising public awareness. A friend I met through
Team Challenge recently celebrated a birthday, a birthday his
doctors told him he may never see. Not only did he celebrate his
birthday, he is training for the Vegas half-marathon with Team
Challenge. If he can do it, how can I not?
I've been spending some time on the Crohn's and Colitis
Foundation's website, www.ccfa.org. The CCFA is an amazing
organization. Any donations made will be put to good use, whether
it is patient programs, health care provider educational seminars
or research. The organization is looking for college students to be
a part of their National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC). According
to the CCFA website, "the council works to increase awareness of
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis through youth-focused
advocacy and fundraising. Youth leaders become advocates for
patients through local and national campaigns. The council members
also identify new fundraising opportunities on their campus and are
responsible for meeting a minimum fundraising goal each year, while
supporting and increasing support for existing programs. Council
members will develop leadership skills and prepare for even larger
roles as advocates for people with Crohn's disease and ulcerative
colitis." If you are interested in applying or you know someone who
should, go to www.ccfa.org for more information and to download an
application. The deadline for application submission is Oct. 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment