Thursday, October 27, 2011

A weekend of lists...

What did you do this past weekend?  We were busy worker bees.

Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and got coffee at our new favorite coffee house: The Flying M.  Lately a 1-shot 16 oz. White Chocolate Mocha (so really more like a white chocolate-milk than a coffee) has really given me wings!  I'm a light weight,  what can I say?!  Seriously.  David's been joking that I'm like the Energizer Bunny after one of these... and I have to admit, it helps make me super productive.  (Meanwhile, he drinks a 4-shot mocha to get the same effect.)

I started out my day by replacing and installing a new garbage disposal in our kitchen.  That's right, I did it all by myself, except for a couple instances where I needed David's muscles.  And it works like a charm... and so much quieter than the old one.  I'm so proud!  (Who needs a plumber?!)


Once I finished disposal duty, I tidied up the kitchen and then moved downstairs.

I decided to tackle the basement of our house (aka laundry room/ my desk/ dump area) as yet again, David has decided that he needs a change and wants to be in the basement with me.  This is also because I refuse to get rid of the bed in the guest room, which is also David's office, and he wants more space to work.  I offered to build a murphy bed (with my incredible handyman skills, but he thinks it will end up on my list of projects that take years to finish... he might be right.)  We (I) have gotten complacent about house-work/organization lately and I went-to-town on this particular area of our house that takes the biggest beating: my desk.

Now that we have a new dryer (thank God!  However, that install is a story all by itself for another time) I'm getting laundry done faster than we can get it dirty, so I'm not cluttering the room up with that anymore, however, I'm a person that collects for awhile and then purges, so this is the space that does most, if not all of my collecting prior to each "purge", so it's a job where I really have to roll up my sleeves and dig into.

Believe it or not, I am actually an extremely organized person.  I always know where everything is, and if I don't know, I become a bit obsessed with finding it, because I should know.  It may look like clutter on the outside, but on the inside, it is very organized.

I also have to admit that I'm a bit hesitant to share "my space" with David... I love being with him while I work, but he likes things a certain way in his work space, and I like things a certain way in my work space, and frankly, they are opposite.  I'm sure we'll work it out, and maybe it will be good for us to have to be more understanding of each other's way of working... we'll soon see!

Either way, I its time to start finishing some projects and this is a good kick in the butt to get them done and get them on the way to where they are meant to go... (aka stop cluttering up my workspace.) To do this incredible task, I created lists.  Lists are the only way I get things done... I simply love checking things off my lists.

The first list I created on Saturday was for every project I have either started or is in the queue to get started. Whoa!  As my mom always says, I need to "get my butt in gear."  I have 15 projects in process or in the queue to get processed.  And that is WAY too many.

My next list was a breakdown of each project and what I needed to do to get them finished.  This is a list I love, because I get to check things off as I get through each of the projects, and I get such satisfaction checking things off my list!

My final list was for all of the things I need to accomplish each project (i.e. picture frames, photos, stain, upholstery fabric, etc.)  This is my take-with-me on errands list, and it makes shopping easier and more efficient.

I know, I know... its a bit obsessive, but I find if I have lists I stay on track and get things done.  No list, and I get hopelessly sidetracked.  Only... as a first-time homeowner, I've got to admit, I'm a little freaked by that fact that my list never seems to end.  There's always, and I mean ALWAYS something to do.  How does one manage without going insane?

No comments:

Post a Comment