Monday, August 29, 2011

A Shrew and a See You Later...

Last night David and I went back out the the Shakespeare Festival.  This time we saw a wonderful performance of the Taming of the Shrew.  I was modernized to the 1980's and took place in Los Angeles instead of Italy.  It was really fun, and it had the best soundtrack- the staging was a delight.

Photo courtesy of Idaho Shakespeare Festival
I would say go see it, but tonight was closing night in Boise, and unless you live in and around Cleveland where they are taking the production next, you might not get the chance.  BUT IF YOU DO, GO SEE IT!

Our wonderful friend Eduardo Placer was Hortencio in the play and as usual he lit up the stage.  His character was a latin lover mixed with a dab of the musican Prince all rolled into one.  Singing "Kiss" and "Purple Rain" and all!  It was really funny.

Photo courtesy of Idaho Shakespeare Festival
I also really enjoyed the lead actress Sara Bruner, who I'm normally not a fan of her acting.  She's usually very jerky and harsh, and she is the theater director's protege, so she gets all the juiciest roles even if they really aren't right for her (which makes me gag a little and say, "Kiss ass!" while wondering how vain you have to be to not be able to look at yourself clearly.)  HOWEVER, I will be the first to give her praise when praise is due.  She was perfectly cast in this role and was a delight to behold.  

Actually, I enjoyed her in Cabaret as well this season as the hotel slut Frenchie.  Although, she stunk up the house in Two Gentlemen of Verona.  She was cast together with the lead actress in Cabaret, Jodi Dominick, as two singing minstrels who were taking the audience through the play.  I liked the concept, but their voices don't complement each other and it was more than obvious they were given the parts to allow them both to peacock.  She has a beautiful voice as does Jodi, but that doesn't mean they sound good together.  Ms. Bruner also does this thing on stage that is so jerky- like a kick-ball-change kind of thing that done in the right place might be nice, but she's used it too much and it is way overdone.  It drives me nuts every time I see it.  But, to end my rant on a good note, she was delightful in Taming of the Shrew as was the play itself.

After the show we waited for Eduardo so we could say goodbye.  Eddy left this morning at 5a.m.  David and I were so sad to see him go.  We chatted with him for a while, and then hugged and told him to stop taking off on us... Boise's cool factor dramatically decreases when he leaves town.  Fortunately, he will be returning in November, and we can't wait to see him!

It's always tough to say good-bye, so I say, "See you later Eddy!"  Its so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment