Monday, August 1, 2011

Rabbit, Rabbit!

Hello Everyone!

Ever since I was a little girl my dad would always ask us the same question on the first morning of each month, "Did you 'rabbit, rabbit' today?"  Now, to most of you this may sound like a very strange question for a father to ask his kids, but if you know my dad...  well, he's wonderfully quirky and it makes complete sense.
Painting by Pam Dallaire

I think Dad was made aware of the superstition by his mother, who, from all accounts was in a league of her own when it came to quirky behavior.  But it makes the whole thing even more special to me every time I say it!

Saying the words, "rabbit, rabbit" on the morning of the first day of each month is a superstition brought to the world by the British according to Wikipedia.  If these are the first words spoken on the first morning of each month, before your feet even touch the floor, you will have good luck for the rest of the month.

All of my dad's kids, and most of his grandkids are well versed in "Rabbit, Rabbit".  None of us are really superstitious, but I kick myself every time I forget to say it.

The only other person outside of my family I have ever met who knows and follows this wonderful and silly tradition is my good friend Jason Jones.  He's my wonderfully bright and unbelievably artistic and incredibly handsome friend from my days in NYC (although now, neither of us lives in NYC, but as the old adage goes, you can take the gal or guy from NYC, but you can't take NYC from the gal or guy!)

Jason and I met while sitting on a ladder together while helping open the Anthropologie store on 5th Ave. and 16th Street.  It was friendship at first sight!  Together with our mutual friend and Anthropologie-ite Lorena (who I share the same birthday with which means, of course, that she is especially cool) we made working our butts off in retail, much more exciting and colorful!

I digress.  Every time Jason or I mention those magical words, "Rabbit, rabbit," I feel like we are giving each other a wink and a nod and sharing a secret that only a few fine people know about, and it makes me smile even more.  It may be a little high brow, but that makes it even more fun... like playing dress up.

I've already passed this Manchester tradition on to my husband... although I doubt he ever says it, and I plan to pass it on to many more Manchester & Lopez generations to come... just like my dad.

I wish you all a "Rabbit, Rabbit" this month!

Stewart and Anabel Manchester.  Photo by Krakora Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment