Friday, June 22, 2012

Crazy Sexy Life

Months ago I stumbled upon this incredible blog and website called Crazy Sexy Life.  The author, Kris Carr, was diagnosed with a rare, stage 4 incurable cancer in 2003 and given a short time left to live.  To quote her, "This whiskey tango foxtrot moment (that’s military lingo for WTF?!) sparked a deep desire in me to stop holding back and start living like I mean it! I sold everything and hit the road on a deep healing pilgrimage."


She's since proved all the doctors wrong and changed her life completely.  Her inspiring words have even gotten her noticed by the likes of Oprah, and she's just completed her third book, Crazy Sexy Diet (which I'm dying to get my hands on!)


I became fascinated by her journey.  Dealing with Ulcerative Colitis is by no means terminal cancer, but it is something I struggle with, I couldn't get over how positive and inspiring she is, so I just had to follow her progress, and I signed up for her newsletter.  


Today's post was especially inspiring to me, and I hope you will find the message equally worth while.  The title: I am deeply in love... stood out in my inbox, and I had to take a peek.  Wow!  I'm glad I did.

Powerful Pixies,
Lately I've been pinching myself, totally tickled and here's why: Life is good. I mean, really, really good. And it's not because my health challenges magically went away (they didn't) or because I won the lottery (I didn't) or because my year-long home renovation is suddenly over (far from it). Life is good because my attitude is better than ever. I shifted, I dialed up the gratitude, and that simple act created a domino effect of goodness.
To be honest, it's kinda uncomfortable to put my joy jam out there. Like you, I've been domesticated to hide the shine. I imagine mean girls from high school making fun of me, breaking me. "Take it down a notch, sparkle toes," but they would say something much worse, painful even.

Because I like to challenge myself, I decided to let my smiley freak flag fly this morning, regardless of the discomfort I felt. I started by sending out this tweet: "I am totally in love with my life." What a juicy affirmation! Well, guess what happened? The twitter-sphere flipped for it. I could feel the collective ahhh ... "Wow! I want that! Yes, Yes! I am too! What an inspiration! Thank you! That made my day!" Even my dear mentor Cheryl Richardson chimed in, "So good to hear, Kris ..."

If saying it out loud could create such a difference, imagine what meaning it on the inside could do for you. Go ahead, try it. You have nothing to lose. No one is looking. Grab a mirror, and just say it: I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH MY LIFE. If that feels funny, do it anyway! Fake it 'til you make it, or just say "I want to be totally in love with my life, I'm open to being totally in love with my life." Whatever it takes my friend, whatever it takes.

Trust me, your life will appreciate your effort. It will even thank you.

Love is a choice. No darkness is great enough to extinguish it.
Peace + bye-bye mean girls,

The message is so powerful, yet so simple.  AND the important thing she notes is "fake it 'til you make it."  So if you aren't feeling it right now (you know who you are), force yourself (ignore that nay-sayer on your shoulder) to focus on the idea of message... the words themselves. David and I do something similar and have done with each other as long as I can remember- when one of us is grumpy or sad... we force the other person to put on a dopey smile (the more dopey the better) for a whole minute, and by the end of the minute, you actually can't help but smiling for real.  It also reminds me of the scientific research behind the the words... do you remember Project Love?


Try it sometime... it really works.  


I hope you all have a beautiful weekend... I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH MY LIFE!   

No comments:

Post a Comment