Monday, November 28, 2011

Making SCD Yogurt... yum!

For the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that I started recently to heal the Ulcerative Colitis that I've been plagued by, I've started making homemade yogurt and its DELICIOUS!

David and I are both huge fans of its tart yet creamy flavor, and I am an especially huge fan of how easy it is to do.  In fact, it was so easy, I've decided that it's the perfect gift to give to friends for Christmas instead of hoards of cookies or bread that everyone usually gives and gets... delicious and nutritious!

For excellent (easy) directions and the great SCD approved recipe, check it out here and here.

I started out my SCD program by making yogurt in a yogurt maker my mom gave me years ago, which had been sitting in storage untouched.  It was super easy to use and it turns out awesome individual servings of yogurt, but we were going through it so fast I was making yogurt 3 times a week.  Although hooked on the yogurt because it makes my belly feel so good, I needed a way to make it less time consuming.

I tried making it in the oven, but I didn't do it right, and it turned out badly.  Oh well.  Then I read about making yogurt in the food dehydrator, which is another tool my mom gave me years ago and had been sitting in my basement unused... except for a few batches of apple chips I've made, so I gave it a whirl... perfecto!

I'd also been saving some glass Peanut Butter jars for a while and David was getting on me to either do something with them, or throw them out... they ended up being the perfect thing to make the yogurt in.  So, now I do both the yogurt maker for individual servings and the dehydrator for larger batches.  It's great!

Once the plain yogurt is made, I add honey and vanilla to mine, although you can add whatever you like.  David prefers adding cinnamon, and my friend adds fruit to hers.  Either way, it all tastes wonderful!

The yogurt is also great for making things like SCD approved cakes and frostings, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm planning to with my next big batch.  I've been using the Yogourmet yogurt starter, and its really nice and tart.  For the yogurt to be SCD approved it has to be cultured for 24-28 hours to cook off all the lactose.  This makes is more tart and also easy to digest.  I use whole milk, but you can also use any kind of milk including coconut milk, and nut milks as well.  Whatever works best with your system.  I'm planning to try a batch with coconut milk next because my doctor would like me to limit my dairy... I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker


The Excalibur Food Dehydrator
As the great Julia always says, "Bon Appetite!"

No comments:

Post a Comment