Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Security

I can't believe I haven't posted about this sooner...

After a rash of burglaries and a 6 time rapist on the loose in the neighborhood, David and I decided to get a security system.

We weren't actually bothered by the news (after all we do live in Boise, ID) until I personally witnessed a man lurking in front of our house and when I went to snap a photo of him, he off and disappeared...

Sadly, this is all I was able to get of the guy.
And then the next day I was running very late to work and this non-desrcript white van with no back seats drove up and parked in front of the house.  When the driver noticed me in the window she got this startled look on her face and drove off like a bat out of hell.  Unfortunately this time I wasn't quick enough to get a picture or the license number.

After speaking with law enforcement and the neighbors, we realized that both the neighbors have had things stolen in the past few weeks, that's when we took serious notice.  It's not that we have anything valuable to protect, but there is something about having your belongings gone through- your private space violated- the potential for something horrible to happen...

I also just saw the movie "Felon" with Val Kilmer and Stephen Dorff, have you seen it?  My boss told me about it.  It's about a man (Stephen Dorff) who is convicted of manslaughter after a guy breaks into his house through his child's bedroom window.  The guy (Dorff) chases the thief out of the house swinging a baseball bat and accidently hits the guy too hard in the head and the thief dies, the guy goes to prison for accidently killing the thief while trying to protect his wife and child.

The rest of the story is about the injustices he faces in prison as he just tries to keep his head down and not get killed.  It's a fabulous movie, but it certainly makes me question the justice system in America.  Shouldn't we be allowed to protect our own homes from people trying to do us harm?  Check it out on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117385/

Anyway, back to our new home security.  Well, a few days ago a man knocks on our door with an ADT shirt on.  Apparently the company was doing a few installs in the area so they sent their sales team out to knock on doors. We let the guy in cautiously (and called ADT and the Better Business Bureau to verify who the guy was).  David is much more suspicious than I am- which is frankly a good thing and has served us well.  He's a great protector for our family :)

By the end of the evening we were owners of an ADT home security system... with the works.  Ain't nobody breaking into our house without getting caught!  I took the liberty of putting stickers in all the key windows and a sign in back yard and one in front that let's everyone know we mean business.  I admit, I went a little overboard and David asked if I was trying to decorate with all the ADT stickers, but hey, no one can say they weren't warned!



...And this is only about half of the stickers and signs I posted... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment